Artificial Intelligence is a modernistic and rampantly developing technological domain that deals with the intelligent design of a system that emulates human intelligence. It is a beneficial technological asset to various higher-end enterprises in the IT industry for complex data analysis processes, efficient chat boxes, recommendation systems, etc. AI systems can perform complex tasks in a complex environment they can also improve themselves using deep learning and machine learning algorithms. It has become a substitute for human intervention in repetitive and onerous tasks such as responding to customers on the web, personalized shopping, etc.
Now, let us get going with the subsequent section and analyze more details about the field at a micro level.
Importance of Artificial Intelligence
Generally, nowadays top enterprises utilize the technology to form prudent decisions for more revenue in the coming market trends. Apart from the applications in Business Intelligence, the field also has vast applications in enhancing all the technologies and making everything sophisticated. For example, it creates a high-tech business environment by integrating embedded systems with the internet. Artificial Intelligence renders the users with an efficient way of collaboration and information sharing. Consequently, the field contributes to upgrading the efficiency of organizations and helps them perform complex tasks much faster. Essentially, all the organizations look to be better prepared for the forthcoming trends so that they can perform better. Therefore, the field precisely helps in this aspect and aids in driving businesses with data-driven decisions.
Now, let us proceed to the next section and peruse a few points signifying the multi-faceted applications of AI.
What are the major subfields of Artificial Intelligence?
Artificial Intelligence works with large amounts of data that are first combined with fast, iterative processing and smart algorithms that allow the system to learn from the patterns within the data. This way, the system would be able to deliver accurate or close to accurate outputs. As it sounds, It is a vast subject, and the scope of AI is very wide it involves much-advanced and complex processes, and it is a field of study that includes many theories, methods, and technologies. The major subfields under AI are explained below:
Cognitive Computing: The ultimate goal of cognitive computing is to imitate the human thought process in a computer model. How can this be achieved? Using self-learning algorithms, pattern recognition by neural networks, and natural language processing, a computer can mimic the human way of thinking. Here, computerized models are deployed to simulate the human cognition process.
Computer Vision: Computer vision works by allowing computers to see, recognize, and process images, the same way as human vision does, and then it provides an appropriate output. Computer vision is closely related to AI. Here, the computer must understand what it sees, and then analyze it, accordingly.
Machine Learning: Machine Learning is the learning in which a machine can learn on its own from examples and previous experiences. The program developed for it need not be specific and will not be static. The machine tends to change or correct its algorithm as and when required.
Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) are the two most commonly misinterpreted terms. Generally, people tend to understand that they are the same, which leads to confusion. ML is a subfield of AI. However, both terms are recalled simultaneously and repeatedly whenever the topics of Big Data or Data Analytics, or some other related topics, are talked about.
Neural Networks: Artificial Neural Networks (ANNs) were developed getting inspired by the biological neural network, i.e., the brain. ANNs are one of the most important tools in Machine Learning to find patterns within the data, which are far too complex for a human to figure out and teach the machine to recognize.
Deep Learning: In Deep Learning, a large amount of data is analyzed, and here, the algorithm would perform the task repeatedly, each time twisting/editing a little to improve the outcome.
Natural Language Processing: Natural language processing means developing methods that help us communicate with machines using natural human languages like English.
Now that we understand what Artificial Intelligence is and we are familiar with its subfields, we would consider why it is really in demand in the current world. To begin with, here is a quote from Forbes:
‘Machines and algorithms in the workplace are expected to create 133 million new roles, but cause 75 million jobs to be displaced by 2022 according to a new report from the World Economic Forum (WEF) … This means that the growth of Artificial Intelligence could create 58 million net new jobs in the next few years.’
Interesting, isn’t it? If you are looking out for a change in your job, then Artificial Intelligence can be your best bet for your sustainable career growth. There is a huge demand for Artificial Intelligence professionals, right now.
Future of Artificial Intelligence
When you look around you, you will notice that Artificial Intelligence has impacted almost every industry and it will continue to do so in the future. It has emerged as one of the most exciting and advanced technologies of our time. Robotics, Big Data, IoT, etc. are all fuelled by AI. There are companies around the world conducting extensive research on Machine Learning and AI. At the current growth rate, it is going to be a driving force for a very long time in the future as well.
AI helps computers generate huge amounts of data and use it to make decisions and discoveries in a fraction of the time that it would have taken a human to. It has already had a lot of impact on our world. If used responsibly, It can end up massively benefiting human society in the future.
Advantages of Artificial Intelligence
- Reduced human error: With humans involved in the tasks where precision is required, there will always be a chance of error. However, if programmed properly, machines do not make mistakes and easily perform repetitive tasks without making many errors, if not at all.
- Risk avoidance: Replacing humans with intelligent robots is one of the biggest advantages of Artificial Intelligence. AI robots are now doing risky things replacing humans in places such as coal mines, exploring the deepest parts of the ocean, sewage treatment, and nuclear power plants to avoid any disaster.
- Replacing repetitive jobs: Our day-to-day work includes many repetitive tasks that we have to do every day without any change. For example, washing your clothes or mopping the floor doesn’t require you to be creative and find new easy to do it every day. Even big industries have production lines where the same number of tasks has to be done in an exact sequence. Now, machines have replaced these tasks so that humans can spend this time doing creative things.
- Digital assistance: With digital assistants to interact with users 24/7, organizations can save the need for human resources and deliver faster service to customers. It is a win-win situation for both the organization and the customers. In most cases, it is really hard to determine whether a customer is chatting with the chatbot or a human being.
Limitations of Artificial Intelligence
- High cost of creation: It may sound a little spooky, but the rate at which computational devices are upgraded is phenomenal. Machines need to be repaired and maintained with time to keep the latest requirements in check, which needs a lot of resources.
- No emotions: There is no doubt that machines are much more powerful and faster than human beings. They can perform multiple tasks simultaneously and produce results in a split second. AI-powered robots can also lift more weight, thereby increasing the production cycle. However, machines cannot build an emotional connection with other human beings, which is a crucial aspect of team management.
- Box thinking: Machines can perfectly execute the preassigned tasks or operations with a definite range of constraints. However, they start producing ambiguous results if they get anything out of the trend.
- Can’t think for Itself: Artificial Intelligence aims to process data and make a conscious decisions as we humans do. But, at present, it can only do the tasks it is programmed for. These systems cannot make decisions based on emotions, compassion, and empathy. For example, if a self-driving car is not programmed to consider animals like deer as living organism, it will not stop even if it hits a deer and knock it off.
So, here was a short overview of Artificial Intelligence. The article succinctly explains the field and its importance and also highlights the underlying future of Artificial Intelligence . It is quite advisable to pursue the field as a career choice. This is because it provides excellent job opportunities and good remuneration prospects. Furthermore, it also gives developers a chance to be part of an intriguing field. In the preceding years, there has been quite an upsurge in the set-up of IT training centers for Artificial Intelligence Training in Noida and other metropolitan cities all around the world. Since it is a vast field, it requires undying curiosity and continuous hard work to move further in the domain.